Here are the Top 5 Nutrients to chow down on to regain Lustrous Locks:
1. Protein is essential for the health of your connective tissue, this includes the keratin in your hair! Without enough protein, your hair will grow more slowly, and be weaker. Make sure to get a little bit with every meal and snack. Good sources include lean meats and poultry, fish, nuts and seeds, beans and lentils, dairy, quinoa, and tofu. Rotate your choices, and look into food combining if you want to go plant based: http://www.livestrong.com/
2. Iron deficiencies have been linked to weak, brittle hair, and hair loss, especially in women. Include dark green leafy vegetables, egg yolks, poultry, dried fruit, whole grains, and lean red meats to help boost your levels of iron naturally.
3. Biotin- A B vitamin that is important for scalp health and promotes growth. Food sources include: eggs, almonds, peanuts, salmon, nutritional or brewer’s yeast, and avocados.
4. Silica- An often overlooked trace mineral, it may help improve hair thickness. Chow down on bananas, oats, cucumbers, millet, and the herb horsetail.
5. Omega-3 Fatty Acids- Vital for scalp health, from which healthy hair can grow. Without proper fats in the diet, the scalp can become dry, leading to dull hair. Good sources include oily fish such as salmon, sardines, herring, flaxseeds, walnuts, chia seeds, and algae oil (can get this in supplements, but some food brands add it:http://www.lifesdha.com/find-
Healthy food choices help your entire body. Make sure to also eat lots of fresh fruits and veggies, and stay well hydrated. Your hair and body will reap the benefits. Be patient. Hair growth takes time! You should start seeing results in about six months to a year, depending on how fast your hair grows. In the meantime, enjoy watching and feeling your health improve by basing your diet off of delicious, healthy whole foods. Click to see hair care products.